Monday, January 19, 2009

One-in-a-lifetime versus day-to-day


Because humans are born, live for some finite period, and then die, we tend to assume that all of the really defining moments in life are singular events. A wedding. A car crash. Winning the lottery. Just once is enough.

Just one time is enough times to change the course of a life forever.

While it is true that turning points do indeed tell the story of an individual's life, I have found that the human condition is better described by its thousand-times-over events. It's what we do again and again that truly impacts our lives and shapes who we are.

I think we can be grateful for the repetitive nature of life. Personally, I'm rooting for a zillion more heartbeats to come, even if each one is not particularly thrilling.

While the everyday may be associated with drudgery and monotony, I contend it is a far more desirable to have life described by the phrase "one day at a time" than by "do or die."

At least, most of the time.

3 comments:

  1. An interesting perspective on living. As a photographer I find the nature of the pursuit at odds with the idea of life as a flow since I am constantly picking out singular points. But I think there is a way to bring them into harmony. Maybe.

    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life got a lot easier when I discovered "flow" but let me just say that there are "flow" changing events....... and memories are made of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete